Monday, March 8, 2010

The dreaded UI


Ahh the good old days, when the UI was just the standard user interface that a game provided to you and you as the gamer had to deal with it...

Those days are long gone, thanks due to in large part by Blizzard and World of Warcraft, the modding community's for MMORPG's has skyrocketed. Now when starting any new game this is the very first thing on my list to make mine. Also one of the things I dread the most when starting any new MMO. Why, with any UI I could spend hours, days or weeks before I am finally happy with what I have - after all if I am going to spending hours in front of a game, might as enjoy the setup that I have, right?!

That being said, the one thing that I have noticed and wished there was for Everquest 2, was a much more active add-on community. Right now as it stands the is basically one suite that is worth using as the rest of them are dead in the water, either not maintained by the user or the user no longer plays EQ2. This is dishearting for a mod freak such as myself and wish there was more of a community for the UI for Everquest 2. Now I am not sure if this is due to the coding being harder for EQ2 or numerous players just utilize the very few packages that are available and see no point in supporting anything new that may arise.


Great suite and many thanks to the author - Drumstix42 for this amazing work of art for our viewing and gaming pleasures. Sleek yet very simplistic.

A Screen Shot of my latest invention is above. Hope you all enjoy, and lets here it for the EQ2 Authors, keep on making these amazing add-ons and I will keep using them!

2 comments:

  1. I'm also using DrumsUI and EQ2Map, of course. Because even with the revamped EQ2 map system of a year ago...mod authors will always do a better job (just due to the 'open nature' of the development)

    I'm still not happy with my placement of the main status bar of Drums...have to figure it out a little bit.

    I'm finding that as I'm playing a new 'role' (a Mystic), when I'm in a group I'm staring at the health bars so intently that I needed them close together.

    I'll post my UI shortly.

    ReplyDelete